NERC invites applications for use of the UK Arctic Research Station by 31st March preceding the intended field season. For the 2020 field season, please submit your application by 31st March 2020.
Our approach is to always remain as flexible as possible, whilst ensuring all those who are supported by the Station are safe at all times. However, it is strongly encouraged that you contact the Station Manager before submitting an application form to determine the feasibility of your project. The Station is open from March through to September, however, those wishing to use the station outside of these months should notify the station manager and submit their application to the Arctic Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible. Late applications will be given consideration if there is space available.Download Arctic Station Applicaton Form
- Applications should state the scientific objectives of the research and outline the fieldwork programme proposed for Ny-Ålesund. This information may be published on the NERC website and circulated to other Ny-Ålesund stations. Applicants should indicate any agreed collaborative arrangements, especially those with Norwegian colleagues.
- Information on personnel involved, specialised equipment use, storage requirements and the length of stay are also required. For health and safety reasons applications from lone individuals are not accepted. Projects should involve at least two individuals. Please also note that since there is no doctor in Ny-Alesund, all applicants must be medically fit. The BAS Operations Team will send all field team members medical details forms once approval has been given which will then be assessed by the British Antarctic Survey Medical Unit (BASMU). As part of this process, all field team members will also be required to complete a medical examination. The cost of the medicals for each field team member will need to be met by the project. Medical details forms and medicals should be completed at least six weeks prior to departure from the UK. It is also strongly recommended that all field team members have a dental check-up prior to departure to Ny-Alesund.
- Evidence of sources of financial support for research costs, travel and accommodation must be given. Researchers wishing to use the NERC base at Ny-Ålesund will be responsible for their own travel, in transit accommodation costs and Kings Bay Mess Hall charges. Please note, the Station Manager will try to allocate NERC Station bedrooms, however, it is advisable to include in your budget, the cost of Kings Bay accommodation in case it is not possible to allocate a NERC Station bedroom. For information about what you should budget for please see the ‘What to budget‘ page which also provides a link to the Kings Bay price list.
- To help scientists achieve their scientific goals and to make sure their fieldwork is safe and productive, applicants are required to provide a project description outlining the geographical area(s) in which research will take place, activities proposed and details of the level of field proficiency (i.e. mountain/glacier travel, boat handling etc.) for each member of the project team.
- Applicants should note that individuals and/or project teams working in challenging or risky areas, must consider the need for a suitably skilled ‘field assistant’ or ‘guide’ to accompany them in such areas, and if advised that this is necessary, make provision for such an individual. Any associated costs for a field guide and their related travel costs must be met by the project.
Applicants should also note that BAS is responsible for the duty of care for researchers from departure from Longyearbyen to arrival back in Longyearbyen.
Each application will be assessed on safety requirements, on the science case provided, ensuring it meets the NERC science remit, and also on the contribution to the Ny-Ålesund international research strategy. The Station Manager will steer all proposals through a formal hearing process. If the project is approved, a letter will be sent from the NERC Arctic Office to the applicant informing them of the decision.