When preparing a budget for access to the UK Arctic Research Station, please ensure you contact the Station Manager in the first instance. The following costs may need to be included in your budget:
- Flights from the UK to Ny-Alesund, via Longyearbyen. Please note, Luftransport operate the flights from Longyearbyen to Ny-Alesund, usually on Mondays and Thursdays. The cost of these flights can be found in the Kings Bay price list.
- Accommodation enroute to Ny-Alesund. Due to the availability of Luftransport flights to and from Ny-Alesund, it is sometimes necessary to stay over in Oslo or Longyearbyen. These costs should be met by the project.
- Kings Bay accommodation. Whilst every effort will be made to provide one of the free bedrooms at the UK Arctic Research Station it is not always possible due to demand and therefore we recommend that you include Kings Bay accommodation costs in your budget.
- Meals – meals are not provided at the station, these are provided by Kings Bay in the main mess hall.
- Medicals – The BAS Operations Team will send all field team members medical details forms which will then be assessed by the British Antarctic Survey Medical Unit (BASMU). As part of this process, all field team members will also be required to complete a medical. The cost of the medicals for each field team member will need to be met by the project. Medical details forms and medicals should be completed at least six weeks prior to departure from the UK.
- Weapons and Safety Course – this is mandatory for anyone wishing to carry out fieldwork in Ny-Alesund to protect against polar bear attack. The Safety course is provided by Kings Bay, and usually takes place within a day of arrival in Ny-Alesund.
- Equipment (that is not provided by the station) – for example skidoos, sledges etc.
For a full list of costs, please see the Kings Bay price list – this is usually updated every November for the following year. Please note that all costs in this list are in Norwegian Krone.